Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sudan Challenge

This week I took part in a challenge introduced by Marcie Abney of La Bella Joya.  The idea was to take the warm, earthy colors of the Sudan to inspire a woven jewelry piece.  My goal was to shy away from my usual affinity for pretty, shiny things and try to use matte, natural colors.

First I had to choose my focal bead...  I had several pretty things to choose from.
As much as I loved the warmth of the round beads, I was really drawn to the center rectangle as it seems to have an earthy horizon line.  So, the rectangle was chosen!

I chose beads for the body of my piece and then just started playing.... letting the beads tell me where they wanted to go...

As my piece started to take shape, I realized I liked what was supposed to be the bottom of my piece flipped up at the top instead.  So, I flipped it around and continued to build it out until my piece was complete.  With the horizon line flipped around, it looks to me more like the sun setting behind mountains in the distance.

Thanks to Marcie for allowing me to be a part of this challenge. This piece is going up for sale in my etsy shop tonight! :)

4 comments:

  1. Lisa! This really is gorgeous! I'm gonna give it a home of it's own when I announce the new Margie and Me on Monday, so look for it on Monday, that way everybody is sure to see it. :) Thanks so much for playing and I'm glad that you found it so inspiring. You really captured the feeling of the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marcie! It was fun to step outside the box. It helped me realize how much I do enjoy working with earthy colors, even when I don't throw a punch of color in there, it can still look good! I'm looking forward to checking out your blog on Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lisa,
    I remember looking at this piece in your etsy shop and how I was drawn to it right away, but it makes even more sense now that I know about the creative process. I love the contrast or rectangle with rounds and dark and light. Makes for a wonderfully balanced piece.Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kinga! I had fun creating this piece. I really like neutrals, but it was a bit of a stretch for me to create something that had NO sparkle to it whatsoever. ;> Funny how I ended up flipping it around when I finished, but I do like the contours better this way. Kind of reminds me of an arrowhead.

    ReplyDelete